Smoke Detectors Save Family Of Nine From Devastating House Fire

Fire engines sit outside Westaby Hall while backpacks are filled within. Photo by Rick Rickman.

A family of nine people in Bristol Township is alive thanks to working smoke detectors.

Shortly after midnight, the mother of a household on Astor Lane woke up when she heard a blaring alarm. She quickly woke up her husband and seven children to get everyone out of the house.

Bristol Township Fire Marshal Kevin Dippolito found the fire started near their dryer. He noted the working smoke alarms are largely responsible for “getting this family out safely.”

Fortunately, no one was injured, but the house is now uninhabitable. They have insurance, and the American Red Cross is helping to provide housing and other basic needs.

Members from the following departments responded to the scene:

  • ¬†Levittown Fire Co #2
  • Edgely Fire Co.
  • Fairless Hills Fire Dept
  • Falls Twp Fire Co.
  • Levittown-Fairless Hills Rescue Squad
  • Bristol Township Police