If you plan on traveling on the Pennsylvania Turnpike for the holidays, prepare for pre-pandemic levels of traffic.
The turnpike commission is bracing in expectation of 5.4 million motorists using its roads.
“Our holiday traffic projections are coming close to matching those of 2019 with an increase of 40 percent over last year,” said PA Turnpike CEO Mark Compton. “We have added resources to address any traffic and safety concerns due to the increase in traffic.”
Thursday is the heaviest traffic day with 650,000 motorists projected to travel on the turnpike. Next Tuesday through Thursday are each pretty close.
Compton urges travelers to plan out the trip ahead of time. The website 511PA.com gives motorists traffic and weather updates along with other alerts.
“Our goal is to provide our customers the best travel experience possible,” added Compton. “We encourage travelers to prepare by finding our real-time traffic and roadway conditions online and allowing plenty of time to get safely to their destination.”
The full period of projected traffic amounts is available below:
- Thursday, Dec. 23 – 650,000
- Friday, Dec. 24 – 450,000
- Saturday, Dec. 25 – 405,000
- Sunday, Dec. 26 – 375,000
- Monday, Dec. 27 – 425,000
- Tuesday, Dec. 28 – 600,000
- Wednesday, Dec. 29 – 625,000
- Thursday, Dec. 30 – 625,000
- Friday, Dec. 31 – 460,000
- Saturday, Jan. 1 – 350,000
- Sunday, Jan. 2 – 425,000