A fire at a 55 and older condominium community Thursday morning was stopped before it could spread to surrounding buildings.

Residents in one of the buildings at the Hearthstone Condominiums in Bristol Township cleared out when the sprinkler system activated at around 9:30 a.m.

Fire engines from several local departments responded in case the situation escalated.

Fire marshal Kevin Dippolito indicated a washing machine in one the units on the third floor started the small blaze. The combination of smoke and water caused damage to this unit, and there was water damage to two units below as well.

Fortunately, no one was injured and most residents were back in their homes by 2:30 p.m.