Three adults are recovering from injuries sustained from jumping out the second story window when a blaze destroyed a home in Croydon early Sunday morning. An investigation has revealed a can used for cigarette butts on the second floor rear balcony initiated the fire.

At 4:35 a.m., Croydon firefighters with assistance from six other fire crews responded to a call at the 1000 block of Second Ave to find a house engulfed in flames. The people trapped in the home’s second floor apartment were forced to use the window as their escape.

The adults safely dropped two children down to neighbors waiting to catch them, but the adults were forced to bear the full force of the ground in their fall. All three adults were injured in the escape and are being treated for injuries at Jefferson Torresdale Hospital.

Despite best efforts from the Croydon Fire Company and their support, the house was destroyed according to Fire Marshal Kevin Dippolito. A detached garage with an upstairs apartment was also damaged by the intense heat given off by the flames.

The Croydon Fire Co received help from the Edgely, Newportville, 3rd District, Levittown #2, Union, and Cornwells fire companies. The Bucks County Rescue Squad, Bensalem Rescue Squad, and Bristol Township Police also responded to assist.