A Bristol Township man accidentally started a fire in his apartment in Edgely Estates Apts Wednesday evening, forcing him to inhale enough smoke to go into cardiac arrest.

Local fire departments, including the Edgely, Levittown #2, Newportville, Croydon, Third District, and Fairless Hills fire companies all responded to a call at 6:05 p.m. on September 5.

The fire began on the man’s stove top as a pot of grease overheated and ignited. First responders were able to keep the fire from spreading, but enough smoke was generated to severely affect the victim.

No other apartments were affected by the fire according to Bristol Township Fire Marshal Kevin Dippolito.

Paramedics from the Levittown-Fairless Hills Rescue Squad performed CPR on the man and provided advanced life support treatment. The victim was taken to Lower Bucks Hospital and is receiving treatment as of Thursday afternoon.