Twenty-one Pennsbury High School students have the chance to explore their passions this summer thanks to the Lendo Fellowship endowment fund.
One student will take part in Aerospace Engineering Camp at the University of Illinois. Another will study Biotech Research at the Boston Leadership Institute.
Former Pierce College president Arthur J. Lendo graduated from Pennsbury High School in 1964. He established the fellowship in 2006 with the goal to back to the Pennsbury community.
“This fellowship is not a scholarship,” said Lendo, “where you wait to finish high school and then go onto college. These are learning opportunities for current Pennsbury students as they come up through 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade.”
The fund honors his parents and three uncles who served in World War 2. Lendo wanted to offer a chance for career exploration to the leaders and role models of future generations.
“The design of the program was hopefully so that students who desire to achieve academically, who work hard in school, who are good citizens both in the community and at the school, and who are willing to lead by good example will know that they have an opportunity to receive funding support,” said Lendo.
Also on the list this year is Ava Sciolla, guard for the Pennsbury Lady Falcons basketball team. Sciolla will participate in the Philly Rise Nike Basketball Program. In 2019, she received support from the Lendo Fellowship to attend Point Guard College at Haverford.
The Pennsbury Education Foundation selects the recipients and oversees the endowment fund. A full list of recipients is below:
- Sriya Amineni, Essentials of Finance, University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
- Harshavi Birla, National Student Leadership Conference in Engineering, Georgia Tech University
- Neve Davis, Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Seminar
- Lily Erdogan, Toxology, Health, and Environmental Disease, Rutgers University
- Presley Foote, Point Guard College, Haverford College
- Brianna Gayle, Intensive Neurobiology: Cellular and Systems, Johns Hopkins University
- Oliveah Gilchrist, Point Guard College, Haverford College
- Shreeya Gounder, Health Careers Scholars Academy, University of Pittsburgh
- Paul Kearns, Digital Development Camp, Drexel University
- Hannah Kim, Biomedical Research Academy, University of Pennsylvania
- Anika Koul, Cancer Biomaker Research Camp, miRcore
- Henry Lane, International Summer School for Young Physicists, Perimeter Institute for
- Pranita Madaka, Biotech Research, Boston Leadership Institute
- Nimay Mahajan, Pre-College Data Science Camp, University of Connecticut
- Samarth Mannikeri, Biotech Research, Boston Leadership Institute
- Siya Patel, National Student Leadership Conference in Medicine and Health
- Ava Sciolla, Philly Rise Nike Basketball Program, Philadelphia
- Ansh Shah, Aerospace Engineering Camp, University of Illinois
- Jack Shea, Boy Scouts of America Seabase Camp, Florida Keys
- Krishna Thaker, Economics for Leaders, University of California at Berkeley
- Brenna Veitz, Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Seminar